Thursday, October 9, 2014

A pregnant woman walks into a mouldy rented room.

He kicked for the fourth time that day – but this time it was followed by a sharp pain that shot down my spine and into the back of my knee. I bent over slightly, relieving myself of the discomfort and noticing something decidedly squashed beneath my peach pump. I heaved down onto the bed and reached for it – the wrinkled paper took its time to part with my shoe as it was fastened by the elastic minty unease of a piece of gum. I looked around the room to check for more littered surprises but all that tired sun could find for me was a dampened dark spot on the carpet just near the doorway. I took a deep breath in as he kicked again. A vile fusion of instant smash, toilet spray and moth balls painted the air – I was craving rocks again. Avoiding the gum I opened the paper – it was a till slip.  R25 Cream donuts.  R34 Malboro gold. R40 Dulex tender play. R 15 Bath sponge. R60 Chef Dinkleys kitchen knife.


I felt like I needed to look around the room one more time in case I was missing something. But the room said nothing. It just stared back at me – unblinking - like the hole in the gate at the bottom of the garden. Oh god – I touched my belly. Is this what he really wanted for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment