Wednesday, October 15, 2014

To build a home


Like books. We’re stacked one on top of another
Each with a story we’ve been meaning to read
But just haven’t the time.

Three thousand bodies carried by concrete
that hum to the music of its giant flute
And along with birds wings
Dogs barking
Zionists
And spinning rubber across the bloodstained spine of Slovo. 

I don’t know if it’s going to rain today
But the patter of small feet trickling down the staircase
Tells me that everything will grow despite.

Its purple across Joburg.
My words tremble with the thought of year-end already.

But I can’t feel it.

Because my body hovers -
Somewhere between the sky and its South African ground
So I open the window and try connect.
Of all the apartments I see, I wonder

If we really are

That far apart.

1 comment:

  1. Your view of life is colored by the filters of your attitude.
    You have chosen this mountain-top wisely to reflect and gain solace and strength.
    Jesus would have chosen a similar mountain-top to be with His Father in times of retreat and meditation.
    The birds also see this and sing praises.
    No, we are not far apart at all.

    Love you lots
    Dad

    ReplyDelete